Five Minute Frday Story

           I did something that some of my friends may have thought was weird this week. I posted a picture of iced coffee from Taco Bell on my personal Facebook page. In the message attached to the picture I wrote that my children and I had Taco Bell for lunch prior to a dental appointment. A couple of years ago, I would have attached a picture of my smiling kids with their tacos as part of the Facebook post.  My teen doesn't like their picture taken especially if it is going to be posted on social media, so instead of taking a picture of them, I took a picture of my coffee to remember our spring break fast food outing. This is something that I have been learning in the past couple of years, that I need to respect others as I am telling my story. My story isn't just my story. It is my children's story. It can also be my parent's story because we lived with them for four years when we first moved back home to Florida.  Our stories are connected to the stories of so many others. It is really interesting to hear my children's recollections of shared family memories. I find their perspective so interesting, because it is usually quite different from mine. As my children have gotten older, I have learned to ask their permission before sharing a story that involves them, whether I am sharing it with a family member or online in some fashion. If I am texting or emailing someone about a matter that concerns them, I will often read the message to them before I send it. I want my children to know I will protect their privacy and that I appreciate that I get to be a part of their stories. 







Comments

  1. No-one knows just how I look
    in these days so far away
    from what might have been a book
    had the world turned out that way.
    There is a price upon my head
    for that which happened long ago,
    and since I'd rather not be dead,
    I just want all you to know
    that everything is veiled and hidden,
    layer upon aggregation,
    and I do what life has bidden,
    keeping from the permutation
    that would not let me remain
    with a bullet in my brain.

    Yeah. I don't do current pictures, or readily identifiable surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognize the skyline from your Five Minute Friday post, but only because I spent a decade in your home state. My children were born there, before we moved back to the east coast. I am praying for you and Barb! -Jolene

      Delete
  2. Yes, as a parent to my children, and as a child to my parents, I have to respect their privacy and tell my story in a manner which respects their wishes!
    Popped by from #9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Heather! I hope that you have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  3. Insightful post, and a good reminder about respecting the privacy of others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really important point about our stories being shared - that is only fresh in my mind now, as I've returned from a holiday and am selecting photos for Facebook from my hundreds on the camera. Thank you. I'm not sure I always ask my children before I include them in our shared stories. Blessings. Dawn #25

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday Grief

Day 11 Try New Things Once

Day Three Fascinating