Five Minute Friday Extremes are not always helpful



             I am learning in counseling that focusing on extremes is not helpful. Having an “all or nothing” attitude usually causes me apprehension. Two emotions can be true at the same time, even if the emotions at first seem opposing. It is okay to feel conflicted at times. I want to be more curious about my feelings instead of ignoring the feelings that I do not want to take the time to deal with at the moment. If I don’t process my feelings, they are going to come out sideways. I would like to be less reactive, and handle my emotions in healthy ways. After all, I want to model emotional wellness to my children. I want to pray, tell God how I am feeling, and ask God to help guide me to be more emotionally healthy. I am sharing a picture of my daring youngest child who loves trying new things.









Comments

  1. All or nothing doesn't make
    a real whole lotta sense,
    and sets up for bad fall
    at that self-made fence.
    It sounds just fine in that new book
    that's sitting on the coffee table,
    but the concept's just a hook
    to make you buy the glossy fable
    where the hero gets the last
    laugh over adversity;
    she is not by her fate cast
    aside, as befalleth you and me,
    living in the real-world land
    of getting by best way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, two emotions can coexist. We are grieving for a dear friend who passed away and rejoicing for two family weddings and the birth of a new grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling a mix of emotions is, I think, a very healthy way to be. It's when we become focussed too much on one feeling that self-absorbed navel-gazing can lead to all kinds of anguish.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Just stopped by from FMF#14

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday Grief

Day 11 Try New Things Once

Day Three Fascinating