Day 13 Place

            I want our home to be a physically and emotionally safe place for my children. On difficult days, I want to them to be able to breathe a sigh of relief, because they are finally home. I want them to know that they are loved here. I want them to know that they can speak their minds and share their hearts with their siblings and me. I want them to remember baking projects in the kitchen, family game nights, and family movie nights complete with popcorn. I want them to remember us praying together and listening to worship songs together. Almost five years ago, I walked through my home in New Mexico for the last time. I thought would have a feeling of good riddance, because I was leaving an abusive marriage. Instead, I realized that I would carry the happy memories of my children's baby and toddlerhood from that place, and indeed my children and I do share stories of when our dog would grab our shoestrings to let us know he wanted to go outside and play, as well as other funny stories. When we moved to Florida, it was also important to me to find a plaque with standards that we could all live by. I did not want my children to follow rules, that they did not also see me living out. They know that they can tell me if they think that I said something unkind or if I am not responding in a loving manner. I want to provide a safe place where they can come to me, and discus things with me, even if those discussions are about how I could have handled things better. So, what about you? Do you have a place in which you feel happy, loved and safe? I would for you to share about it in the comments.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday Grief

Day 11 Try New Things Once

Day Three Fascinating