Day 1 There is a Way

            The verse John 14:6 came to mind when I realized that I would be writing about the word way today. My life is hidden in Christ (Colossians 3:3), but I far too often try to find my life in other places. As a recovering people pleaser, I often try to find it in people. As I mentioned yesterday, God gave us community to help us along in the journey, but I will not find life solely in relationship with others. There are many times that I need direction, because I do not know the way that I should go. In those moments, I need to seek the Way, because in following Jesus, He will make my next steps clear. Even if it is one baby step at a time. He is truth. I need to make sure that my thoughts are lining up with His truth, especially the thoughts that want to camp out inside my head. What I focus on grows, so if I focus on truth, then my connection to truth will grow.  


          One day, when my eldest was little she decided that she was going to make a cake while a dear friend was visiting. The only problem was that she didn't ask permission. So, as I was chatting in the living room with my friend, my five-year-old was measuring and mixing and happily spreading a trail of flour and sugar throughout the kitchen and all over the kitchen floor. Eventually I heard her making noise in the kitchen and went to investigate what was happening. In that moment that I discovered the mess, I did not lose my cool because my friend was there. The Holy Spirit is always with me. When I feel like I am about to lose my head whether it be in anger, frustration, fear, or despair, He is with me. I can run to Him with those feelings. He is the One that I need to run to, and I can find shelter in Him. He is with me in the ordinary moments, and the momentous ones. The times of great joy, and the times of great fear and sadness.  I will closes this post with the words of classic hymn.

"What a friend we have in Jesus

All our sins and griefs to bear!

What a privilege to carry

Everything to God in prayer!"


 





Comments

  1. I'm a recovering people pleaser too and it's been a difficult road out. I love the example you've shared of your daughter's experiment and how you kept your cool with grace!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday Grief

Day 11 Try New Things Once

Day Three Fascinating