Five Minute Friday Compromise

          As a mom of three children, I remind my children to try to reach a compromise concerning some form or fashion of disagreement with each other almost every day. I tell them, and try to remember myself that many things that seem important in the moment will not even be remembered days or weeks later. My Dad used to ask me as a teen, "Is this a hill you are willing to die on?" If it is not something critically important to me, than I need to be willing to compromise. I want to teach my children to be empathetic with others and to be willing to meet in the middle. I want to teach them to think of others and be mindful of perspectives that are different than their own. Choosing to work together to work out a compromise is an act of love. I know that if these are the values that I wish for my children to learn, than I need to model these values in my interactions with them and with other people. They need to see that I am willing to listen to the perspective of others. Just for fun, I will close this post by sharing the Diamond Rio song "Meet in the Middle."


Comments

  1. Wise thoughts, and a good song. Thanks for sharing.
    Your FMF neighbor #27.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, "compromise is an act of love." Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words! Love the song..it's new to me. Just popping in randomly via the Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 11 Try New Things Once

Five Minute Friday Grief

Day Three Fascinating