Day 4 Choosing to make peace

          About six months ago, someone who had deeply hurt me wrote me a letter apologizing to me. I wrote them back thanking them for writing me, and telling them that I was proud of them for the steps that they were taking to make amends and turn their life around. At that time, I stopped short of saying the healing words that I forgive you, or that it was okay. It still didn't feel okay to me. I thought that forgiveness would mean that it no longer hurt. I recently wrote this person, and told him that I accepted his apology and that I forgave him. Forgiveness is a choice. The decision to make peace with a person is a choice. Choosing to make peace with this person has given me freedom. I am not carrying the weight of my past around any more. Any time that a sad or scary memory comes to mind I can feel the emotion of that memory and then turn it back over to God. Through the act of making peace, I can leave my past in the past, and be fully in the moment with my children and other family members. I am no longer chained to my past. Have you ever had to chose to make peace with someone? How did this decision impact you and your loved ones?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 11 Try New Things Once

Five Minute Friday Grief

Day Three Fascinating