Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me (Shalom #OneWord 2020)

         
1 Peter 2:16

          Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God
 
          The above verse is one of the most important truths that I have learned in 2019. "May we think of freedom, not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right."-Peter Marshall. This year as I embraced my freedom in Christ, I realized that the most freeing aspect of spiritual freedom is telling others about God who set me free from a situation that at one time I thought was inescapable. My story is that "He's still rolling stones!" to quote Lauren Daigle. As I have embraced freedom in Christ, I have realized that it is not about me. It is all about Him. I want my story to tell of Jesus and how He has rescued and redeemed me. He has put a new song in my heart and my mouth. "Let the redeemed of the Lord say so." -Nicole C. Mullins.

          In the past few months, I have realized that what I really want for my children, my extended family, and myself is peace. I can sometimes become scattered in the ways that I pursue peace. I think that maybe a new bedtime routine will make things more peaceful, or that if I schedule everything perfectly during the day than their won't be any meltdowns (including my own.) I have learned though that peace cannot be found in the perfect routine or plan no matter how much time and effort I put into these carefully laid plans. Peace is not found in getting my way or even in the feeling that I have all my proverbial ducks in a row. Peace is a person and His name is Jesus. My job as a Mom is to point my children to Jesus, and to share with them that Jesus is the only true source of peace.

          I chose the word shalom because my prayer for this year is for more than just peace. It is for shalom. Shalom is a Hebrew word that does not simply mean peace, but also wholeness and completeness. I want to remember this year that true shalom does not come from anything that my mind conjures up and that I decide to do. Peace comes from Jesus. I need to surrender my day, my plans, my everything to Jesus, and trust that He is with me every day of 2020.  

Do you have a word for 2020? I would love for you to tell me about it in the comments.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 11 Try New Things Once

Five Minute Friday Grief

Day Three Fascinating