What fills me up? (Five Minute Friday Full

"It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition is gone, pride is gone." -C. S. Lewis

          This is my favorite quote by C. S. Lewis. I was reading Mere Christianity about a year ago, and these words leaped off the page and made an imprint on my mind and heart.  As some of you may know, I am a single mom. My children's father has parenting time during school vacations. On these vacations he takes them to theme parks, lets them stay up as late as they want and basically is a very fun Dad. I sometimes wish that I could be the fun "theme park parent." I am the parent that needs to enforce bed times, helps them with homework and reminds them to be kind to each other. I can't afford to take them to a theme park. C. S. Lewis' words remind me that when I am comparing myself to my ex-husband, I have lost focus on what really is important. Co-parenting is not a competition. My pride is not helpful to my children or even myself. I need to train myself to be thankful for the opportunities that my children have to do fun activities with their father. Pride is not loving. I want to be emptied of pride to be filled with God's love that I can share with my children and others. 





 


full

Comments

  1. Yes, I know I am the best,
    above all, beyond compare,
    so far better than the rest,
    in my thin and holy air.
    All the minions look to me,
    offer meet appreciation,
    for they can clearly see
    they can never match my station.
    I come now to the straitened gate;
    what ho!, I am too great to pass!
    And I am left to meet my fate,
    once first, and now am last.
    Pity, that, about my pride;
    it did not last, once I'd died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your sonnets Andrew. They challenge and encourage me more than you know. I am thankful for the way God pursues me when I get off course and puts me back on the narrow path. I am praying for you and Barb!

      Delete
  2. We thank you so much for your prayers; this has been a dreadful season of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. I like CS Lewis also! He's deep.
    Wonderful that you have taken a tough situation of co-parenting and made it a grace filled endeavor. Jennifer, FMF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! I hope that you have a lovely day!

      Delete
  4. "Pride is not loving." Oh, so true, yet as much as I long to be the person full of love I am more often the person fighting my own pride. And comparison! Oh, yes. Me, too. This is a poignant and touching lesson on both. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of the most powerful words in the English language are me too. Thank you for stopping by and your words of encouragement.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday Grief

Day 11 Try New Things Once

Day Three Fascinating